WALK B: PRIEST’S BRIDGE TO BROUGHTON BECK BRIDGE AND ON TO THE DERWENT
This path runs on the western side of Broughton Beck and follows it closely almost all the way. Technically the beck is the parish boundary, so that this path is not in Papcastle parish. Just before it meets the Papcastle – Broughton minor road it joins the service road to Papcastle quarries. At the bridge its continuation southwards is signposted, through a stile built into the wall. The path then follows the beckside until it meets the River Derwent.
Throughout one has the embankment from the old Brigham to Bullgill branch of the Maryport to Carlisle Railway, which existed from 1867 to 1935. (Paplava is the old Papcastle station)
Continuation: at Broughton Beck Bridge one can return to Papcastle along the road, on which there is little traffic.
If continued as far as the River Derwent, then the River Bank path is the alternative; this is Walk C